Myasthenia Gravis is a neuromuscular disease whereby there is fault in transmission of nerve impulses to muscles. This occur at the place where the muscles they control.
Also known as MG, Myasthenia Gravis is caused by antibodies attacking acetylcholine in the neuromuscular space. Most time Eye muscles are affected except in rare cases.
Why is MG refer to as Snowflake disease?
This is because its symptom varies from one person to another, meaning it can be mild and severe depending on different patient involved. MG can be life-threatening if symptoms are severe.
Types of Myasthenia Gravis
There are 5 Types, and they include:
2. Ocular MG
3. Generalized MG
4. Juvenile MG
5. Transient Neonatal MG.
- Congenital MG:This is the type inherited from both parents, this is due to changes in gene involved in communication between muscle and nerve cells
- Ocular MG: This is a type of MG that include drooping eyelids (Ptosis) and double vision (Diplopia). The weakness of muscle is limited to only the eye in this type of MG
- Generalized MG: Not limited to the muscles of the eye, but also facial muscles and Limbs.
In severe case, it can spread to the respiratory muscle in a condition known as “Myasthenia crisis”.
- Transient Neonatal MG:Mothers with MG may pass it on to their babies within 48 hours of birth
Symptoms include impaired sucking, respiratory insufficiency etc.
- Juvenile MG: This type of Myasthenia Gravis affect children before puberty, in a mild stage it is restricted to the eye muscle, as time goes on the weakness spreads to other parts of the body.
There might be need to undergo surgery as often Juvenile MG leads to deformation of thymus
Prevention of MG
Try to do the following to prevent the neuromuscular diseases
1. Maintain personal hygiene
2. Treat wounds & Infections
3. Stay away from stressful activities
4. Maintain a stable temperature.
Feeding might be tough due to weaken muscle, however avoid hard and crushing goods,also avoid bread products.
Treatment for MG
Although there’s no cure for MG, the following methods can ease and help you maintain a normal life
1. Medication which include steroids, muscle strengthener etc
2. Therapy e.g. plasmapheresis, monoclonal antibody etc.
This post is dedicated to anyone with one eye defect/anomaly or the other. You are a champion and remember you can do a lot so as not to lose your vision totally.Also, happy birthday to me in Advance, Tomorrow is the D-day😃.
No part of this article may be edited,copied without the permission of the author